Is your girlfriend pregnant and you don’t know what to do? Perhaps you are wondering if she is even carrying your baby. Maybe friends and family are encouraging you to push her to have an abortion. Whatever your situation, you are not alone. Lots of couples experience a “surprise” pregnancy and immediately worry about how this will affect their future. Abortion seems like an easy choice but it does have significant risks that you may not understand. Having a baby doesn’t mean the end of your dreams.
Here’s some quick advice that may be of benefit to you right now:
- Listen. The situation involves more than just you.
- Stay calm. She needs your support now more than ever. She may be carrying the baby, but you are BOTH parents, and regardless of your relationship in the future, that baby needs you too.
- Talk about it. Talk, not only with each other, but prepare to talk with parents and others close to the situation. Hiding the news from people who can genuinely help you only increases the stress.
- Gather the facts. Get information and seek wise counsel so you can make the best decision for you both.
- Express yourself honestly. It’s normal to have feelings of anger, frustration and fear. Make sure she knows she is not alone.
- Don’t bail. The more you run from this, the harder it becomes to think and act clearly.
- Don’t pressure her. Applying pressure will only push her away, possibly into a regretful situation. Both of you would do well to work as a team.
- Don’t forget. You have a very active role in this situation. Listen to input as well as express your thoughts.
Contact us today to discuss any concerns or to come visit us with your girlfriend. She needs you now more than ever. We can help you navigate this journey and help find supportive services for future needs.
Contact Us: (951) 296-3441